Monday, September 14, 2009

B.I.T.C.H. is the New Black




This pretty much says it all. A wonderful night was completely shattered by the most commonly used weapon known to man: IGNORANCE. Ignorance travels faster than speeding bullets and has worse wreckage than head on collisions. It is even killing some of the most influential black figures in America. From Serena Williams to Kanye West, ignorance (much like cancer) claims many a victim and no one seems to care. With the fading outrage from Joe Wilson heckling Obama, sports stars and drunk rappers try their hand at public embarrassment. A failure all their own, each person is putting their spin on acting a damn fool.
So why is 'Bitch the New Black'? A direct quote from Tina Fey as a special correspondent on SNL's Weekend Update, I took it and ran with it. Hell, just as soon as I redefined B.I.T.C.H. (Black Intelligent Tenacious Cultured Humanness), THESE TWO NEGROES rework my masterful reworking into Black Ignorant Tasteless Coon Humiliation. And so many of our misinformed "brothas and sistas" feel that there is nothing wrong with their actions. Those same people, who no doubt, thought OJ didn't do it. Those same people, who no doubt, let their children listen to Gucci Mane. Those same people, who no doubt, will be forced to raise their children's children. I'm sure as you are reading this, the Heath Ledgers of the world will be thinking, "Why so serious?"
Perhaps a better question to ask, is why aren't we all as critical of our own race, as we so desperately attempt to be towards others? Our every waking moment as of January 19th has been spent looking for racism, where racism isn't. Congratulations, we're about as effective as the search for Bin Laden. In case you haven't realized, everything isn't racist. Now I may be diving off the deep end here, but go with me on this one. In the Serena Williams incident, everyones favorite BLACK tennis champion (ingrate) was seen threatening a lineswoman on a world stage. The most she has done was that (obviously forced) apology, which was so not written by Serena Williams. And do we accept it? Many of us didn't even think it was uncalled for, that it was justified even. Another stolen moment (shout outs to Kim Clijsters) due to IGNORANCE. As a punishment for her outburst, she was fined $10,000. I do believe she was paid more money to even be involved in the tournament. Can you say BULLSHIT?
I'm a woman, a Black woman at that. For every 20 people that say they like another popular Black woman, I vote "nay". What exactly has she done to deserve my admiration? I don't play tennis, and frankly, I find the entire sport elitist. And just because there are people of color on the court, that does not make it a proud moment for 'Black folk'. So when you hear me calling her or any other woman of color "bitch", please do not chalk that up to my heavy Hip Hop intake. I say that because that is the title best fitting her behavior, and let's be honest, THERE ARE DOGS THAT BEHAVE BETTER THAN THAT. (Get Cesar Milan on the phone, this BITCH is trippin'!) She gets no applause, no congratulatory "you go girl" that so many have given her. More than a fine needs to be handed to her. And I sure as hell don't think she should have been presenting at the VMAs last night. But that could just be Sheena being extra critical of fuckery. All I know is she was DEAD wrong. Now will the rest of Black America admit it?
Which brings me to Kunt-ye West. Boy did I have some words for his uncalled for outburst. Some people will say he was "repping for Beyonce" or Roc Nation, but really, he was being an asshole. Another B.I.T.C.H. (Black Ignorant Tasteless Coon Humiliation) move made completely out of IGNORANCE . How indignant is he willing to get? Kanye shows up, apparently drinking the same shit that gives every coward courage. Not 10 minutes after Janet Jackson left the stage, does the fuckery take place. A completely irrelevant Kanye West takes the stage and shows his ass. Taylor Swift is moved practically to tears before they cut away to Tracy Morgan and Eminem. The internet is outraged, celebrities in attendance are stunned, and audiences at home are probably confused. Immediately, I tweet my expected "FUCK KANYE WEST" as I should have.
It's not enough to cry, bitch and moan when HE doesn't win, now he's championed a cause for a friend of a friend. Because let's face it, Beyonce doesn't seem like she really wanted that kind of attention. With both artists scheduled to perform, he had to recognize the very awkward situation he created. Completely stealing the thunder of the MJ tribute and Taylor Swift's first VMA win, he managed to make the night an MTV version of The T.O. Show. With the starring role played by none other than Kanye West. (Cues Beyonce's "Ego") Will I excuse his actions and say that he was bold. HELL NO! He ran up onstage and ruined a little girl's night. I'm not the biggest Taylor Swift fan, in fact I really like Carrie Underwood. I still tweeted my congratulations to her as I watched Kanye completely fuck everything up.
Moving past the obvious , why is it that every time something like this happens, we allow Kanye to come back and do it again? I've seen people ostracized for less. (Anyone remember Ja Rule?) The laundry list of things artists are not forgiven for is long. Hell, ask anyone how many people appreciated In the Mix; that terrible Usher movie? Or The Massacre? Kingdom Come? Dr. Dre Presents the Aftermath? Electric Circus? Dating Serena Williams? (Sorry Common, that's not a good look.) Sexy Spec and that weird ass grind off contest? You clearly see where I'm going with this. We don't easily forgive artists for musical miscues, yet we so quickly accept them back when they absolutely deserve the backlash of their often numerous random exploits. Will Mystical be accepted with open arms? He's a black artist, in prison on a sexual assault charge, and I'm sure he's remorseful. Oh, apples and oranges?
Well, we're all one short news week away from reading about Kanye spazzing out and ALMOST breaking the law. Will he be excused from having to face the consequences of his actions, if they do indeed escalate to criminal behavior? Are we going to make an exception to the rule, simply because he gave the world "College Dropout"? Or are we going to accept that Kanye has had one too many... OUTBURSTS! (Cues up Jamie Foxx's "Extravaganza" LMAO!) When your child misbehaves, you do not reward them by acting as if they hadn't done anything wrong at all. (Or by letting them perform with you on Jay Leno's show. Jay-Z, you continue to disappoint me. Check your boy, FOR ONCE!) It is all fine and well to ignore the constant BITCH FITS being thrown by so-called "role models". Think about it folks, are these really the strides we should be making? In the year that we inaugurate the first (noticably) Black president are we so busy setting ourselves back with the extreme lack of intelligence? Maybe you shouldn't have dropped out, Kanye. Even your man said "You can pay for school, but you can't buy class."
With all that's going wrong in the world, are we really trying to make B.I.T.C.H. the new "black"? The NAACP unsuccessfully buried the word "nigga" (and all of it's denominations). And with black people carrying on like Kanye and Serena, clearly it's not raising anyone's perception of black people for the better. You know how ignorance spreads, faster than swine flu and a rumor posted on MediaTakeOut. So when you congratulate people who don't mean a single word in their apologies. People who constantly play the role of victim once they've messed up. And they almost immediately seem less than remorseful, ask yourself if YOU'RE CONTRIBUTING TO THE GREATER PROBLEM. Because if you can sit back and see nothing wrong with their actions, you clearly accept this society as the failure-in-progress that it is.
B.I.T.C.H. redefined is supposed to mean: Black Intelligent Tenacious Cultured Humanness. It's a shame that the very opposite was displayed over the weekend. Play your Kanye West and tell your daughters they can be the next Serena Williams, but ask yourself why you don't want your kids to be like you. We cannot expect public firgures to be the only examples for the youth to follow. Realistically, the less your children see of people acting like they have no home training, the better. At least that will give you more influence over what your child considers right and wrong. I may come off as harsh, but as a black woman, I've felt my blackness enter a room before my physical being. It is a pain that I don't feel I should know at 21 years of age. And with the online race war brewing, I simply ask that you not take two peoples actions as the general outlook of the entire bunch. Yes they were wrong, yes they apologized, but that is far from acceptable. The Christian thing to do is forgive, but I will not stand silent, while ignorance celebrates another victory. Kanye and Serena both share this loss. If you support them, that's your prerogative.
Peace, Hip Hop & Purple Rain
Gangsta Cru... Wonder what 2Pac would say?

4 comments:

Coach K said...

Gangsta, you know you stupid. This is your boy @kmc1121. I don't have twitter anymore but i started following your blog a long time ago. And I agree with this one 1000%. It's so unfortunate that our artists just absolutely cannot practice more humility and put their egos in check. At the end of the day, they're all replaceable and none of them can stand up to the real legends of music, the old-timers.
Follow my blog... http://crazyksthoughts.blogspot.com/

Goddess Cru said...

LOL! Thanks Coach! I was just wondering where you went. I think I asked about you on Friday. Glad to know you have a similar take on the spectacle that was last weekend. And to think, many black people feel that we have come a long way. Long strides in reverse aren't exactly steps in the right direction. Thanks for reading!

Peace, Hip Hop & Purple Rain
Gangsta Cru... GANGSTERRRRR!

Coach K said...

LOL. Thanks for thinking about me. Just let the N.E.F.C. I still got love for them and I said what's up (especially Jammie Adams and Nicole Angelo). I do miss chatting with you guys but the site got dead to me. Plus, i've been going through some personal stuff.
And yes, we are certainly not all taking steps in the right direction. Some are, but not enough. Your words seem beyond your years. Keep it up. I'll holla!!

Unknown said...

Kanye's acted like an ass for a long time. But somehow I think (and pray) that this incident will be a turning point in his life. Understand, that doesn't mean I give him a pass just because he damn near cried on Leno. That was TV, therefore it comes with a certain amount of hyped up drama. I will reserve my "handing out of the pass" until he shows tangible change. Any display of egotisical BS, general disregard and disrespect for someone else only serves to weaken us as a whole. We have to do better!!! Good job G..I'm proud of ya!! Sharon (NEFC, DJfan1)